Monday, September 11, 2006

Retail Therapy Saves the Day

Actually, PayPal saved the day. I had transferred some funds from my PayPal account to the bank account last week, which can take 5-7 days. I checked my bank account and the money was there today, so, crisis averted by retail therapy.

Braved the wind and crossed to the mainland, hit the fabric shops. I have a couple of shops around here that sell patchwork fabric for 30 - 50% of the normal price. Sometimes they are seconds, so a thorough inspection is important, but usually you can not see any problem. Sometimes the white border is too narrow or something like that. Anyway, that is where I went today. I got the 3 black and whites and a fairly plain red, 3 neutrals, and the other 3. The blue and floral is a Michael Miller, the blue a reproduction and the other I just liked the colour. I also got the latest American BH & G magazine.

THEN I bought a book to read (Kathy Reich's latest). I couldn't get any hexagon papers though. I was in the LQS having just asked for them. Answer was 'no there isn't any call for them'. 30 secs later a lady came in asking for exactly the same thing. How embarrassed did the shop lady look? I bought an A4 piece of card in the newsagent and just stuck it in the printer and printed some hexpaper onto that. I will cut some out to make a start.

There. All fixed by buying fabric, and visiting 4 fabric/quilt shops. Oh and I had a donut.

12 comments:

  1. Is there anything more theraputic than Retail? I may need a bit of that myself pretty soon. We have lots of fabric stores around here so self control will be the only issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the blue floral on the right! And purples, my stash has ZERO purple I try to buy it but nothing catches my eye! In my humble (ha) opinion you should keep the quilt :) And feel NO guilt! Put something pink in the border LOL. xoxo melzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good day to me. Can't wait to see some of the hexagons coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely purchases you have there. Retail therapy will cure just about anything that ails you. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love those fabrics - especially the purple leaves. Glad you had a fun outing! (I didn't even know there was hexagon paper, shows how much I don't know about hexagons!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful excursion -- and the donut topping it off!
    Jeanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see all those black & whites and the red in a quilt together...

    Did the donut have 100s and 1000s on it? Just checking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great retail therapy, fresh air and a donut too!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great retail therapy, fresh air and a donut too!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you heard of quilt pattis? Someone in my hometown created them. She's an odd person, since she didn't explain them to me when I asked about them, but I think they are plastic hexagon templates, so they are reuseable.

    Here's a link to one place that sells them:
    http://www.steigerfamily.com/quilting/other.htm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shopping is good for the soul. Do you have to travel to the mainland by boat or do you have a bridge? I don't like traveling on either one when it's windy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jenni, first time I've been over to see you, I think *VBS* I've been seeing your name pop up here and there, and tonight I just "did" it, and popped over to see where you blog!! You have a really neat blog with such a great name..*S*
    Fairy bread sounds like such a delightful, whimsical thing. Must be light as a feather..LOL

    I see you are fairly new to the blogger world, so welcome!
    Your retail therapy looks great! You did good with your choices..*VBS* I hope the APW & Q turns out to be a good one for you. I was rather disappointed in that particular issue.
    Must be I'm seeing so many quilts on blogs or something..*VBS* Most of all you had a lovely outing and now have new fabric to play with. Hugs, Finn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting & taking the time to comment. I enjoy finding new blogs to visit by following comments and posts.