Cutting and Pinning, Not Sewing
I have been cutting and pinning on the design wall (bed sheet) this morning trying to make this quilt happen. I decided that today was the day and I wasn't going to think about it anymore, just DO IT. I spent 5 minutes trying to plan it on a piece of paper, then thought "stuff it", and just went for it. I was quite ruthless and ended up using the scissors in the end. I played around with it then took the first photo and went away for a while.
I was fairly happy with it when I came back to it, so I started cutting random strips for the ...well... strips! I just cut a bit off here, and stuck a bit up
there, and this is the final layout still up on the wall. That bit up the top is for something else.
I think it is going to be ok - don't the pink and orange strips change the look of it? I think (or hope) that when it is all together and bound with more pink and orange, it will look better. I started off with the idea that it would be about 36 in x 48 in, but I think it will be a bit smaller in the end. I'm going to hang it on the wall above the computer if it looks ok.
I'm quite exhausted by the burst of energy, so I think that will be enough for today. I'll have to recut that piece 2nd from the left on the bottom to make it a bit longer. The bottom right hand fabric came out of the reject pile for that spot - hopefully it balances it a bit.
Any suggestions anyone? It's still on the wall....


I looks good!!!! I wish I had a design wall, but my sewing room is too small for that. It is always a good idea hanging the test on the wall, looking at it for a while, change some pieces and voila....there it its.
ReplyDeleteThey really do change the look! I almost thought it was a different colorway of the same quilt, at first. I like it.
ReplyDeleteI think it looks great. I also wish I had a design wall but my house is to small. I sometimes get a quilt done and then look at it and see where changes good have been made...you are lucky to be able to make changes now...Cant wait to see it done..Toni
ReplyDeleteThe strips make turn it into a completely different quilt -- looks good. The design bug sure hit you *s*
ReplyDeleteWow changes the look alot. The first pic they look restful and peaceful the second pic they look dramatic and vibrant! Awesome job :) xoxo melzie
ReplyDeleteLooks good to me. Very creativve.
ReplyDeleteI really like the colors. Keep up the good job!
ReplyDeleteI like it. I think the contrast with the orange strips look good with the big bold flower fabric. Good start. A orange border will tie it all together.
ReplyDeleteI love those fabrics and the strips in between are perfect!
ReplyDeleteI really like the looks of that. You are doing a great job coordinating all the colors and placements!
ReplyDeletethose strips do change the appearance of the quilt. Nice fabrics you've used.
ReplyDeleteI love it! Just carry on as you are.
ReplyDeleteI am in the process of creating a sewing/computer area in the bedroom and hope to have a design wall. A lot easier than spreading blocks all over the floor.
I like all your squares - so nice and restful. Then when you added the sashing - it brought a completely different look, and it looks so beautiful together.
ReplyDelete