Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A bit of Australiana


I was in the Thrift shop this week looking for a pillowcase to make my niece Laura a pillowcase dress, when I saw this. The Aussie girls will have seen similar in the past - it is like something your Nanna would have owned. It is a tablecloth about 32 inches square, and is made of a fabric that feels a bit like barkcloth, but isn't.

I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but I just liked it and it was $4.50. As the animals and birds are in the corners I was thinking I could cut it up and make 5 creature blocks, then there are the 4 smaller native flower motifs as well. Or I could leave it as is, but I don't know what else to do with it. Any ideas?

The kookaburras are my favourite. There are a lot around here and they start just before dawn with their crazy chorus. I found a feather from one recently which is cool.

Here are the Koalas, Mum and Baby, in their tree, and also the Kangaroos. Then there are the emus and cockatoos but I won't photograph them.

Thanks for the comments on the Japanese Quilt, I am having a day or 2 off from it. I felt I really had to keep going, because if I stopped....

4 comments:

  1. What a find! I love the children's song about the kookaburra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I think it's wonderful! I'd leave it in one piece and use it as a table topper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems a shame to cut it, but on the other hand, it would make a great quilt. No help here, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I should have spent more time in second-hand shops when I visited "down under" a few years ago! That tablecloth is a real find!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting & taking the time to comment. I enjoy finding new blogs to visit by following comments and posts.