Sunday, November 18, 2007

4 Patches, 4 patches and more 4 patches

I'm sewing, which is the good news. I'm chain piecing these 4 patches, and I feel like I'm just sewing and sewing and they don't seem to ever stop! You probably don't recall, but I made the 4 patch blocks (3 inch finished) ages ago, then the project was put on hold as I didn't have the fabric for the setting squares, and I couldn't find something I liked that I could afford. The quilt is inspired by this old one and I wanted to find a nice double pink. As you would know, double pinks are very popular, and rarely make it to the sale bins, and as I needed 6+ metres, I was hoping to find something a little cheaper than normal. If I had bought it here in Australia it would've cost me A$150, so I was prepared to wait.

Then I saw this one some time ago, and I snapped it up. So I have been sewing and sewing and sewing, then I thought to myself last night, 'maybe I should be thinking about how long the rows are going to be before I sew everything together'. Of course I couldn't find my book that had the calculations in it about how much fabric I needed and how many 4 patches I needed to make. Eventually I found it, and I have to tell you that it didn't help at all! How I worked it out I have no idea.

So now I'm thinking I'll have to try and draw a diagram - the problem being that I want to set the blocks on point... I'm thinking I may have to try and do it in EQ, which I own but never use, as it just doesn't make sense to me. Not logical, so I've never taken to it, plus I'm not much of a planner when it comes to quilts, I'm more a 'seat of your pants' type designer. Maybe this is why I don't get much finished - oh and also because I make everything Queen Sized. Hopeless.

Oh well, I'll have to do something, otherwise I can see myself having these great long rows of blocks that will have to be unpicked as they are too long.

My slump must be lifting as I am now nearly up to date with my bloglines. A few weeks ago the little message would come up saying I had over 3500 posts to read... a bit daunting. So now I have almost caught up with 2 of my Playlists, the first being Doglovers, the second being Favourite Quilters. There are still plenty of unread posts in the Knitting etc List, but it's summer, and I only get the knitting fever in winter. So I'm sorry if I've neglected some of you who I would regularly visit, as I havent' been able to leave comments on all the blogs I've visited, but trust me, I've probably been there. I had a visit from a fairly new blogger called JulieK - I went to her blog today, and was wowed by her beautiful quilts. She is a nurse too and works a lot by the sound of it, so where she finds the time I don't know. Makes me feel pretty slack actually. Many of you already know about her blog, but if not go over and visit. Lots of nice old and traditional quilts, and some amazing hand quilting.

Otherwise, not much happening here. It's a funny old day today - overcast but not raining. I will now go and start up the EQ and see if I can remember what to do. Or I could watch the cricket...

19 comments:

  1. Good luck on your EQ, I have no idea how that works. I hope you find a way to figure out how to finish your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the calculations! I've never tried EQ - am afraid it would be too addictive, I guess. I like to draw things out with graph paper - so old fashioned. Love your pink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenni, maybe I can help as I have a quick reference chart for working out diagonal measurements and how large to cut corner and side triangles. I'll try to email you personally so you can get back to me. Good luck with it but stop sewing long rows as you need all different lengths with triangles at each end. Some are very short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Jenni I can't do anything without an email address. If you like to talk or email Heavens to Bettsy then she can pass on info to me if you need help with the diagonal set. I would be only too happy to even phone or email you. I'm local to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pink quilt will be beautiful. Just don't make it so big you have to use it for a carpet! Lol. I don't use EQ either. I'd rather fly by the seat of my pants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOhhh I love this quilt so much. I started mabe a year ago a lead and ender project.. a bit like this only very small... You inspires me so much that I will start again on that project . Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to be a very nice quilt. It will all come together and someday you will smile at the anguish it is causing now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenni, I answered your biscuit question on my blog.
    I love the double pinks. I am sure I have the same book you showed or else the same quilt is in 2 different books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that! I think I'm going to have to do that next!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those pink and browns!! Where is the picture in the book from? Do I have that book? Am I embarassed at having too many books?

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done on your miles and miles of sewing...after the slump you may end up with 2 great quilts rather than just one! Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! I would rather be chained to the sewing machine than watch cricket!! I am cricket phobic.
    Love the look of your nice 4 patches with the double pink!
    Good luck. Maths is my downfall too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have EQ - usually I just work out fabric requirements on paper. So far it has worked out for me *s*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have EQ, so I'm no help.

    I do like the 4-patches set on point. Going to be pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your four patch is going to be a gorgeous quilt! Love the double pink!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad your mojo is back and firing :) Yes, working out how much fabric I need does my head in too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the 4 patches - going to be a wonderful quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see why you love the 4-patch quilt in the picture and are making one of your own. It's beautiful! Queen size -- I've given a lot of thought lately as to the size of future quilts for me and I've come to the conclusion queen or single and nothing else because that's what is most practical.

    Ack! my company just arrived so I'll be back to read more later.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting & taking the time to comment. I enjoy finding new blogs to visit by following comments and posts.