Monday, August 06, 2007

5 Days in the Tub

You know what? I think I'm going to have to throw this fabric in the bin. It has been in the laundry tub for about 5 days now. It has been treated with salt and with vinegar a number of times, to no avail. You just couldn't trust it, so I think it will have to go.


I've never had such a problem. I bought it from the shop I usually buy my plain colours, so I'll tell the girls it is a dud next time I'm in there. I also bought some egg yolk yellow, and it ran a bit but quickly stopped.

I have not done any sewing since my last post. I have been nursing the invalid beagle (this really involves trying to keep him from springing on the beds and tearing up and down the stairs), and gardening. The winter days are really nice - in fact quite warm really. It was 26 deg C the other day, but down to 4 overnight. There is a place near here called Indigiscape, and once a month they open the nursery where they sell tubestock of plants native to the area. It is a native botanical garden, and usually if you go there you can see a koala way up a tree. I went on Saturday and got a heap of plants, so I have been putting them in. The soil here is fertile red soil, but it is clay and like a rock. A lot of time is spent digging a hole with the mattock, adding gypsum, organic matter, fertiliser, soil wetter etc before the tiny little plant even gets into the ground.

I have been nursing a little Lilly Pilly that came up from a seed, and the other day went to check on it and it was out of the ground roots and all. It is possible that a kookaburra pulled it up looking for a worm, but somehow I suspect Swampy who charges through the gardens to bark at all and sundry at the fence. So today I am calling the Steel Man, and I will be erecting a temporary fence around my new little plants.


There is very good news about Simon's lump. The Vet was very negative about it, suspecting a Mast Cell Tumour, which would involve toe amputation etc, but it turned out to be benign, so I am very relieved. You get so attached to them - especially we lonely single women who have noone else to come home to! We had to go back to the Vet yesterday to get the dressing taken off and the wound inspected, but the young lady Vet was so timid she gave me the scissors and I had to do it myself. Could have saved a trip over on the boat. Above is Si on the jetty looking into the boat - I couldn't get a very good photo as he wouldn't stand in the right place.


As this is supposed to be a quilting blog, I will put in the photo of the pink flowery number which is nearly finished. Just 2 borders to add. It has turned out better than expected, I think due to the borders. It is still a bit too pink for me though, so to Heartstrings it will go. I am a bit (very) behind on my blog reading, but hopefully I will catch up soon.

17 comments:

  1. This noodle (?) quilt is just wonderful! You have a delightful bunch of fabrics, that blend together nicely. Ttoo pink? Naaahhhh - just nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I'd ditch the red. Better to be safe than sorry! Love the pink quilt and kisses to your pooch.
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that Simon's lump was benign.
    I love the look of that pink quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have been busy. Taking care of a dog sounds much like taking care of a sick husband, alot of work. I like the quilt but agree it is a bit pink. Some one will really enjoy it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that pink quilt! I would throw the red away for sure! Ia m so glad your pup is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. poor Simon. hope he is feeling better soon.

    i hate when fabric does that-i would toss it too! love your pink quilt-just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love the pink quilt. Simon is adorable, I'm glad you had good news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a bugger about the fabric. Good news about the bump. And what a wuss that vet is!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the poor red fabric . . . isn't there some little wallhanging that is looking for just the right red and won't require washing?
    So glad that Simon is okay - we do worry about our furry babies. They are so dear *s*

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad that Simon's tumor was benign. Now he'll heal up and be good as new!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pink quilt is great ! a great way to use up some strips. So glad Simon is OK. I get in a terrible state if one of my cats is poorly. My DH says I think more of the cats than him. It's a close call -lol !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry about the fabric, but very glad that Simon is negative and recovering.

    You have my total sympathies on the gardening front. In this part of California, we have rocky, red clay soil and digging it is an absolute nightmare!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Simon, good to hear that it is not too serious. He sure sounds like a beagle - heading off after anyone with a bit of food - LOL

    Must be some sort of faulty processing of the fabric that the dye won't set. I would think you could exchange it for another piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it terrible when you get a fabric that runs? I had the same experience last year, and it was heartbreaking.
    I'm glad that Simon's feeling better and that his lump was benign, you must have been stressed!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen your red fabric Jenni and I'm not so sure it will dicolour any other fabric no more. I had a piece like that and the water was red but strangely enough it didn't ruin oehter fabric, not even the white one :) Perhaps you have thrown it away now and can't try it with a piece of white fabric? Try it next time. You might get a surpise

    ReplyDelete
  16. so glad the beagle is doing OK.. I a mum of a naughty beagle too, so I know they are hard to keep quiet when convalescing (SP??) Love the quilt, I just made a similar one in civil war repros (out of my comfort zone of 30's).. pics of quilt and beagle on my blog if you are interested! I love your blog and will be back to check it out.... you cant have too much pink (soft pinks OK, barbie pinks? blah!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to catch up on what you've been up to this summer. Glad you finally got some rain - love the looks of the zigzag quilt so far!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting & taking the time to comment. I enjoy finding new blogs to visit by following comments and posts.