Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Morning Star or Vestibule

Thanks everyone who replied with a name for the quilt I asked about on my previous entry. I googled all the names that were suggested, and I still didn't find that many quilts to look at for colour ideas. I found one example under Vestibule , which was also suggested by Elaine , then Kayly told me about this page ,and Heavens to Betsy put me onto this blog. There are also many links in the comments of the last entry that will take you to lovely examples made by other bloggers .


I think the lesson learned by studying the quilts is that the stars stand out best when the other fabrics are all medium to dark in value. It also works well when it is scrappy, or has a more formal arrangement of colours and fabrics. I'll have to go upstairs and play with the fabric for a it longer if I'm going to make this quilt - what a shame! Many of the sites indicate that this is an easy quilt to make, but it was mentioned by Tami that it is a bit time consuming which is a worry, as I don't need another UFO...

9 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you choose *s*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the links to MORE of this pattern. There are so many wonderful variations.

    Haven't made one myself, but it looks like a great opportunity for using up scraps! Looking forward to your version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very pretty quilt design. Will be nice to see your variation of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had only seen this with white or very light stars on the darks. Some of the links had some very interesting combinations. I'd love to see what combination you decide on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a quilt like that for a baby quilt once. I used little bear fabric for the centres. I didn't find it time consuming or difficult at all to put together. I love it with the scrappy look. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep that jingle jolly runner looks like it! It was fun to see it in all those color combinations! Neat... I agree the contrast between the star and other fabrics will be the key to making it pop :O).....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girl! Your TB finally made it to the U.S. Wooowhoo! How exciting is that.

    I love this pattern, too. Looking forward to seeing your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quilterscache.com has pictures of this quilt made in different colorways, and different border options, including both sides of my quilt.

    I found the quilt fairly easy to make - I used large squares to show off pretty fabric and make it quicker to piece and give big space for fancy quilting, but my machine didn't cooperate. It's only the sashing that needs to be pieced.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved all those links! Thankyou, & good luck with your choices.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting & taking the time to comment. I enjoy finding new blogs to visit by following comments and posts.