Civil War Diary Quilt (CWDQ)
I've finally started on the CWDQ blocks. The last two nights I've had a look through the book before going to sleep, and today I've made the 3 easiest blocks that I haven't already made.
I think the main reason I stalled on this quilt is the need for fiddly paper/foundation piecing. I had a go at foundation piecing a block, but it was a bit of a disaster, so that put me off. It was probably a silly one to start with as it had points meeting in the middle.
I've also looked into the freezer-paper template idea, so I might try that. I have a CDRom for this quilt that enables you to print out the outlines of each block through EQ, so that might work. I have to say that being a new-ish quilter, I've never made a quilt with templates - hooray for the rotary cutter! Tazzie was telling me some time back that she used freezer paper templates for her Dear Jane, so that is an option.
I think the best part about making these blocks is the opportunity to go through your repro fabric stash to find the exact fabric for each one. It's great too when you actually have the fabric that is used in the book. As no doubt you can see I've made this last block twice, as my yellow points were cut off. They still are cut off, but not as badly as before.






The blocks look wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI can't see anything wrong with your points, but you know what I'm like! The fabrics are gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteoh wow.. you know, you have a lot to answer to.. I seen your other civil war blocks and couldn't remember which book they were from, so i got the Diary and the love letters books! LOL they are great, i dont have EQ anything, so I had decided to hand piece.. hahahaha good idea until I seen some of the 1/4" strips, so I'll do it by machine.. *sigh*
ReplyDeleteI'll be sure to check back on your progress!
Lissa
Like your blocks, particularly the top one - red, green dark brown (or is it black) and white. I have the books and have seen a few blogs joing in, but I have no repros.... I know I could use something else, but it won't be quite the same!!
ReplyDeleteJodie
I agree with Jodie - the top block is a knockout!
ReplyDeleteLove your blocks...these are just so fun to make.
ReplyDeleteI'm loving the CW blocks you and others are doing. It's tempting to join you but I need another new project like I need another hole in my head...LOL. Definitely on my want to do list.
ReplyDeleteYour blocks are great...
ReplyDeleteI've started this quilt today also!
Your civil war blocks are Wonderful! I've started mine as well and am having so much fun with them!
ReplyDeleteOh just "press it out" if it's off a bit. Pretty fabric you have there kiddo! Very nice. I'm starting to like this civil war thing..
ReplyDeleteOh Jenni - your blocks look really great! I'm having so much fun making these!
ReplyDeleteHi! Your blocks look lovely! You probably already know, but just in case you're near Brisbane, the Quilter's Store in Rosalie is having a 29% off on the 29th sale this week - I've been looking forward to it for weeks and can't wait to stock up on more gorgeous reproduction fabrics to keep making these addictive little blocks! Looking forward to seeing more of your blocks. p.s. love the name of your blog! Warm regards, Lily
ReplyDeleteLovely blocks - your Yankee Papers looks positively pristine! That chocolate and white is so crisp!
ReplyDelete