Trip to the Footy
I went to the footy on Saturday night. It was pretty cold, but I love that - part of the atmosphere. We don't get that much cold weather in Queensland, so it is fun to feel like you are in Melbourne and pretend you are at the MCG.
For those who are not Australian, this footy is AFL or Aussie Rules as we call it, and is similar to Gaelic Football played in Ireland.
I made the effort to go to the game as Aker, a player who was booted out of my team (The Brisbane Lions) last year, for spending more time big noting himself in the Media than actually playing the game and being part of the team, was returning to the Gabba with his new team. All expectation and hope was that the Lions would thrash the Dogs, and give Aker a bit of a hard time on the field (sporting of me isn't it?). Sadly the worst happened and the Dogs won, but the Lions played badly and didn't deserve to win. Aker got a bit of 'attention' from his old team mates and a fair bit of attitude from the crowd, but he got the last laugh.
I wore my handknitted footy scarf, which was knitted with lots of good thoughts for the Lions and bad thoughts for all opposing teams, but obviously my attempt at mind control didn't work. Someone hung an Aker Voodoo Doll over the race where the opposition players came onto the field, and that didn't work either!
I looked like a bit of a tourist taking photos, but these are the things a blogger has to do. In this photo the net is still up for practice goal kicking, but they take that down during the game. I didn't catch a ball coming through, but close.
Back to crafty matters, I have cast off my Chevron Scarf, but not finished it as such. I will post a photo then. I have also been very strong and have yet to start the Zig Zag quilt. I 'could' be developing a bit of a conscience, as I have the guilts over not finishing the Girl Guide Quilt. Today, I swear!


Is the ball for this game like an american football? I've never heard this term before, lol.
ReplyDeleteSounds like fun - cool weather and outdoor sporting events are a great combo . . . especially when you have a fantastic scarf to wear *s*
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear that your Lions lost. It would have been nice to be able to prove to Aker that he wasn't really needed after all :))
ReplyDeleteIt is funny - this blogging, I am the same way, taking pictures of all kinds of things in case I need to show it off to my blogging friends - LOL
Sorry about the Lions. One thing we can't get here is Footie news. I'm a Dockers fan myself - think I've said that before, but if they aren't playing I like to see the Lion's win (I'm an honorary Queenslander). Looks like a great day out.
ReplyDeleteSince I started blogging I'm never without my camera - isn't funny how it changes our perceptions of things.
Oh those poor, cold girl guides! LOL.
ReplyDeleteI do love a bit of Aker, I must confess. Don't usually like the cocky types, but I find him somehow endearing :)
I know what you mean about knitting your thoughts and feelings into your scarf. Always seems like it should work, doesn't it? Maybe it's a good thing we can't control the world on a whim! Still, it's worth a try!
ReplyDeleteCheri
I'm off to Essendon and Geelong at the dome in the holidays. First game for the kids. They are all cats and I'm bombers so should be fun.
ReplyDeleteWho wouldn't go to stir Aker!! Tracey