Wednesday, March 28, 2007

How to Save $383 in Just a Few Clicks


Yes it's true. If I had bought this fabric at my LQS it would have cost me an extra A$383. Isn't that a scandal?

Any Aussies out there - if you're not buying from the States you're missing out on a lot of fabric. I know this is a favourite rant of mine, but how come everything here is so expensive? I'm all for the concept of supporting your LQS, but how can you compare? A$157 (including postage) to my door in 5 DAYS, or A$540 from the LQS? What would you do?

They are all lovely 1800s reproductions from The Fabric Shack who I can highly recommend. 5 days to Australia?? I'm supposed to be tidying up and cooking dinner for guests tonight, but there will need to be a bit of fabric fondling first...

19 comments:

  1. OOOOH, yeah, The Fabric Shack. I used to live very close to it near Cincinnati, OH. It is as yummy in person as online, and it is not highbrow. I was never dissatisfied!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You guys sure pay quite the markup. It's good you can get fabric online. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you got a marvelous collection of reproductions there - my favorite kind of fabrics! Do you know what you'll do with them - other than fondle them of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The link you posted are dangerous.....very dangerous. Fabric is too expensive in Norway too, but I have never ordered fabric abroad before.....but..... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're absolutely right ! We've got the same problm, here in Belgium : most fabrics are at 16, 18 Euros/meter (which makes approx. 25 US $ !!!), a fat quarter is 5 to 6 Euros (= +/- 7 to 8 US Dollar) - and you can't get full choice (my LQS never heard about repro.fabrics, nor about 1930's prints - which I'm dieing for...)... Which explains why I'm going to pay a visit to Fabric Shacks, RIGHT NOW ! LOL

    Smiles !
    NADINE

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you! I also order the most fabrics from USA (mostly at Quiltersquarter). Here in Germany fabric is also expensive. Sometimes you can get some nice things on sale - but the prices are generally between 12 and 17 €. Unfortunately it's the same thing with books! Too expensive in my eyes. I love the small stores here in Germany - but the great range of fabric you only can get online.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a saving! Certainly makes you think. Gorgeous fabrics. We are off to Bordeaux on Friday and I'm checking out a Quilt Shop I've found. Probably expensive, but still worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so with you on this, no comparison, we are being ripped off!! Haven't looked at the fabric shack yet-there's another shock to the M/C!! Enjoy your fondling! Did you get last night's cricket? Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so with you Jenni. And now I know LQS isn't a big chain store in the US LOL.

    Someone else told me about:
    http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/

    They also look like they have a great and affordable range.

    It kills me paying $22/m here. Each quilt is costing me around $250, which is not sustainable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We won't discuss the cost of quilting fabric here in South Africa, or the fact that things get stolen from the official post, making ordering from overseas risky. No, lets just say I'm green with envy at your haul right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are in so much trouble... I saw a couple kitty fabrics that I want at that website!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is my absolute favourite online store! Check out the SALE side of the online store - great prices if you don't need/want the most up to date fabrics. LQS here in Canada also charge outrageous prices .... like you, I too, would have to curtail a lot of fabric buying if I were to buy it all locally.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sale room of Fabric Shack is just a hoot. It is about 12x12 foot room with 2 doors and a hallway entrance. There are 3 shelves of fabric, the bottom row is on the floor! There is a middle freestanding rack too, and bolts everywhich way in between, on top of and laying sideways.

    You will NOT be disappointed with their quality, and I hear their online reputation is impecable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I couldn't agree with you more Jenni, I used to do all my shopping online from the US when I was living in OZ. Just can't beat the prices. What a great stash you have, what do you plan on making with them?

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, those prices are outrageous! I don't blame you for shopping on line! I do it from time to time and the bargains are fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that is amazing! How much is a fat quarter in Australia? They are about $4.00 each in Canada. Which would be about 4.70 American. So it is also a savings for me to buy online from the U.S.

    Nice big pile of civil war fabrics! Are you planning to do a Dear Jane quilt? :))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh crap! I just ordered 49 half yards!! Daren't think what the postage may be. This is the first time I ordered on line and I went a bit mental LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! I live in Texas and take it for granted that I can shop around locally. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Right, I'm with you! Fabric Shack is really a good source for fabrics, also here in Italy. Thanks for sharing!
    maria daniela in Rome

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting & taking the time to comment. I enjoy finding new blogs to visit by following comments and posts.