Friday, December 18, 2009

Last Minute Frenzied Sewing

When I say 'frenzied sewing', what I really mean is 'frenzied thinking about sewing', not actual sewing. I'm really having to force myself. This is the 4th attempt at making a quilt for my niece who is 6 yo going on 16. Yes she has very strong ideas about what she likes and what she doesn't like. The first 3 attempts were with totally different fabric, and this one is a full do-over. It's an easy Chinese Coin inspired by much gazing at the Flickr album of Chinese Coin Quilts.


They're all along the modern lines which is a look that I like, but don't use that often. I love these albums of quilts as they really help you figure out where you're going wrong if yours isn't turning out too well. I think the secret to getting the modern fresh look is white. White fabric and clear versions of colour - for some reason this has just occured to me as an idea even though I've done this before (see blog header). Oh and it has to be pink to pass muster.

This is a pretty average photo of the top with top and bottom borders to be added. It's the best of 4 quick shots. I've been thinking at great length about how to quilt it but really it's a bit too late, or as the family joke goes "a bit too close to Christmas" to be thinking about doing something new. I've been reading the blog about free motion quilting designs, and have bought the bobbin washers and the slippery sheet, so I'm ready to give it a go, but maybe it's best not to start with this quilt considering the time pressure.

I need to go upstairs now and consider the back. I'll do a pieced back but I'm not sure if I have enough fabric. I'm going near the shops later today so I can get some then if need be. I have bought the batting which is cotton and poly, and labelled High Loft, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. It isn't thick like the poly stuff used for craft etc, but thicker than traditional cotton batting.

1 comment:

  1. She may have strong opinions . . . but she'll cherish it for sure *s*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting & taking the time to comment. I enjoy finding new blogs to visit by following comments and posts.