Friday, May 04, 2007

Exciting Find at the Craft Show


I ended up going to
the Craft Show yesterday after all. The place was practically deserted, so I had a quick tour around the stalls. My main find was these 3 books, all in the Bargain Bin! I couldn't believe my eyes! All 3 I have been thinking about buying, and have had the Jo Morton book out from the library for 2 months. The small photo below shows the prices which are beyond belief. I snatched them up while looking over my shoulder.

Then the 3 Civil War fabrics for a very reduced price, 2 other blue FQs and a Eighth of the black and white 1930s fabric for the quilt in Fons and Porter this month that I am going to make.

Then I bought 2 balls of Noro with the silk in it to make me a scarf for winter, and a roll of freezer paper for my Civil War blocks.


I had a good trip, the only thing I wanted that I couldn't get were some 1 1/2 inch Thangles. So all in all I was pretty pleased.

I still can't get over the books, but I'm sure I will soon LOL! To think that they couldn't sell them? Amazing. Reproductions aren't as popular here as in the US, but there is still quite a following.

I would like to start my scarf, but I am determined to finish the 2nd sock first. I tried to buy some soft mohair, maybe with a bit of silk in it, to make a scarf for my Mother, but couldn't find anything. There were really only 3 nice yarn stores there, one being the LYS, which was disappointing. I overheard one store owner saying that it had been much quieter this year, and felt she probably wouldn't make the trip next year. I suppose people are tightening their belts a bit here, with an election coming, industrial relations laws in upheaval, and interest rates always threatening to, or actually rising. The other thing that is really noticeable here is the increasing cost of food, no doubt as a result of the 1 in 100 year drought we are experiencing.

I'm fairly lucky here, being right on the edge of the coast, but half an hour's drive west to my Parent's place, their garden is nearly dead, and their tank nearly empty. Dad was telling me that it has been 500+ days since there has been more than a sprinkle of rain. Our dam is below 30% capacity, and the latest initiative is to recycle sewerage. Great!

20 comments:

  1. Jenny, you and I have so many similar interests and projects at the moment! We're both doing socks, lol, oddly enough I picked up my Noro silk garden two days ago to make a moebius scarf, and of course we have the same love of civil war fabrics. I was just going to email you and offer you a bunch of freezer paper, as I pick it up dirt cheap when home in the States...and of course a trade maybe of some civil war fabrics. When I started my DJ I had none, I now have a HUGE basket full, of which I bought only a few FQs and traded the rest with other DJ quilters... Let me know if you are interested in a Civil War repro swap, and even a sock yarn swap, my DH keeps bring nice stuff home from his German business trips!

    Cathi in Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you found most of what you wanted,it makes the trip worth while. I agree it was nice and quiet, and I did find some things that I will use. Now just to find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jenni,

    Thank you for commenting on my blog.

    The australian occaaionally makes the news here. Last i heard was talk of cutting off irrigation water somewhere, which sounds just awful to me. We are very fortunate with our water situation where we live.

    What incredible finds! Isn't it great when the world just seems to smile at you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds!

    Yup, go knit that 2nd sock...nag, nag, nag, lol.

    8^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bargains (yet i buy what i want without looking at the price sometimes lol).....im glad u enjoyed the Craft Fair...the one in Hobart was OK but they saying we wont have anymore here grrr (means a trip to Vic)......love the civil war blocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't bargins great! You've got some great books by the looks of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if it has made it there yet, but here in Arizona (USA) we have a cd called triangulations that you can buy and it has all of the half and quarter square triangle papers that you can just print out on your home computer. No more having to buy triangle paper you just print what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great finds...lucky you! I love Civil War fabrics too and I may use them in my DJ when the time comes I finally start. Too many projects in the air! I hope the rain comes...I would share, it's raining now as I write. Happy Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a great find on the books, just the ones I've been looking at but waiting for a good price. Love the yarn, yesterday I bought the most expensive sock yarn (expensive for me) 100% Merino Wool that is Hand Painted $27.00 for a pair...too much. The shop had sock yarn that would cost 40.00 for a pair...yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Books and bargains are great! I can tell you have gone all enthusiastic!

    NOT good news about drought conditions. Similar issues here in Western Nebraska, USA, but NOT so severe as what you have. I never even thought of water until we moved here. Water rights big issue, and irrigation is going to be rationed also. The rivers are getting 'used up' before they get to many downstream. Rain is always met with walking outside, and looking up, with gratitude. We count even the sprinkles. The last time I had to use an umbrella, I discovered I had forgotten how to work the darned thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool purcheses, I would have been stuffing my bag as well with those kind of book prices. Well done with the Civil war purchases; imagine if we had one here, who would win out of Vic. and Queensland, and what would it be over?? -something really important perhaps like AFL v. Rigby league?? And in 150 years people would be looking for Australian Civil War fabrics in either Essendon or Brisbane Bronco colours!! Depending who won of course!! Something for you to ponder there! tracey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow great haul Jenni! I can't believe those book prices either!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely quilt books you have bought - lucky you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucky you..what a find on those books! I love the civil war fabrics too..and the yarn is beautiful!!!
    Have a fun rest of the weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great deal on those books! I love all the old fashioned stuff too. I made several of those CW Diary blocks. They are so cute. I need to get back to them, but have other irons in the fire. I have been reading books (Historical fiction) about the Civil War lately and they are all so sad! I love Brackman's newest book, Facts and Fabrications. She always gets it right!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great find on the books! Don't you just love bargains like that? We've been kept up-to-date with the drought by our family members and friends in Qld and northern NSW I hope you guys get some rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is just nothing like a bargain book find -- well, maybe the perfect fabric on the 50% off bin . . . surely makes the effort of the trip worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good job on the discounted books you can buy more fabric! I have the doll book and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on the very successful shopping trip! Love those two quilty books - I know you'll enjoy having them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting & taking the time to comment. I enjoy finding new blogs to visit by following comments and posts.