Sunday, January 20, 2008

Travel Bug is Travelling!

I don't know if you all remember, but sometime ago Holly from AndSewItIs and I each launched a Quilting Travel Bug. They are travelling items that move from geocache to geocache. Mine is 'South' as I live in the southern hemisphere, and Holly's is North as she lives in Oregon.

Mine was sitting in the geocache near the Brisbane Airport hoping to be immediately picked up by an International traveller, and be in the States in a flash. Alas it was picked up by a cacher here on holidays, who took the bug to Canberra where it wandered around the bush and lay in fairly isolated caches for some time.

But this week it was grabbed by a female Canadian cacher who has flown it with her in her luggage to Canada! Too exciting! I know you must think I'm mad, but you launch it out there, and it turns into your little baby, then you worry about it all alone in a damp cache in the wilds of the Australian Bush, that could be ravaged by a bushfire or found by some kids who toss it away!

Anyway, don't mind us, but Holly and I are quite excited to know it has travelled half way around the world in the suitcase of someone we don't even know, and now it's so much closer to its goal. If you look here, you can see how far it has travelled, and that it is now in British Columbia.

As for real quilting content, I've been busy watching the cricket. What's that got to do with quilting you may ask? Hand sewing. Yes the never ending hexagons have made a comeback, and I'm slowly working away at them. I will post an old photo to remind you (I almost needed to look at a photo myself, it was so long since I'd worked on it).

Oh and we lost the cricket to India. If the Aussies had won today they would have won 17 test matches in a row, which is a record. Tracey and I don't want to talk about it. In fact, I think Tracey must be in denial, as she hasn't even mentioned it.

PS thanks for the support re the large spider. The vaccuum cleaner idea is fantastic, thanks. I know someone who thinks that her house is on top of a Portal to the Underworld she gets so many spiders - she has my complete sympathy. Oh and the towel is still outside on the deck!

18 comments:

  1. Hi, found your blog and your post about geocaching. Just wanted to let you know that I am watching it also. My husband and I just started caching. Hope your bug reaches her destination. :)

    Treasa
    aka "sassypantz"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun it must be to watch your 'bug' in it's travels. I think there is a lot of hexagon renewal going on in blogland - I saw a couple others earlier and I pulled mine back out this week and got a few pieces stitched on. I would love to finish it . . . . one day *s*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh -- how cool is it that your travel bug made it all the way to Victoria, BC? I've been having fun watching your bugs travel around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see the bug is moving!

    Love your hexagons - they seems to be in the air these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh neat your Hexagons! gosh makes me want to pull mine out again! mmm ya know I am going to put a baggy of them in my car, I am usually 10-15 minutes early for class it seems. I could get one or two done each time :O)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can always count on nice Canadians ;o) Hope the bug makes the rest of the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the spider has made a getaway by now!!
    They look rather fearsome, but are harmless.
    Interesting about your geocache. Hope it reaches it's destination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's brilliant news about the tag. Bet you are really pleased. That spider is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there. I've had you linked on my blog links for a while. ??? for ya...I noticed on your archives you have the month and year. Well for some reason when I go to archives in my customizing section I cannot figure out how to put the year in there. It gives me options for month, day or week ONLY. Ideas??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoo Hoo!!! I have both of your TB's on my watch list and was thrilled to see that one had jumped quite a distance!

    This past wknd we visited the original cache near Portland...not too horribly far from where Holly lives.

    Happy Cachin'!
    Pam@
    www.pamgwillim.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, the caching sounds fun, keep us informed of the progress. Nothing wrong with hexagons, they're great for telly sewing, and yours look nice and scrappy.
    And Thank God you posted again, I was relying on Keryn to tell me when it was safe to come back and visit. I got a dreadful shock when that spider pic came up, couldn't get away fast enough! I've had too many arachnid encounters myself just lately...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just read about your spider let me tell you I hate them to but I have a weapon- Baygon outdoor and spider spray I have use tins of fly spray and it takes them sooooo long to die, this stuff is nearly instant smells a bit so be careful but I luv it I always have a tin in the cupboard this way I don't have to call the DH as he dosn't care anyway. hope this helps now I am off to read more of your blog as I have only just found it through chookyblue thanks and keep up the great blogging Gai P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boy, you have a world-traveling bug!! Love your "hooked on hexagon" quilt.

    We have lots of spidies too at times, first to come and last to leave! The price we pay for living in a forested area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy bugging! What's new on the quilt scene?

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh! gesh! hexi's are a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're all living vicariously through your travel bug LOL

    Maybe you should have sent the other bug packing too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the wedding rings tag on your travel bug!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How cool is your travel bug item?!? I just happened upon your site when googling moms who like to do geocaching or something such as that and somehow came across your blog...so here I am...

    My husband, me, and our kids, all have just started geocaching and I wanted to see what some moms have found on their many adventures and your site is so neat!! We have found 4 caches so far this week and now after finding sites such as yours...I definitely need to take my camera along on our adventures...I love photography anyhow so this fits hand in hand ya know...

    Anyhow, I am going to add your site to my list of sites to follow and come back and visit your site more often...please feel free to stop by and say hello at my site as well and click the link to follow my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting & taking the time to comment. I enjoy finding new blogs to visit by following comments and posts.